1. Write your resume YOURSELF!
2. Keep it to one page.
3. Have a clear job target (or targets) before writing your resume.
4. Use short phrases in a bullet format-not paragraph format!
5. Be positive, enthusiastic.
6. Take inventory of your most important qualities, capabilities, and strengths.
7. Select the resume format that suits you best.
8. Stress your contributions, not just the duties involved.
9. Don't include personal information such as marital status, religion, political party, etc.
10. Begin sentences with action verbs; avoid long-winded sentences.
11. Don't expect to write your resume all at once. Draft your resume first.
12. Make it attractive. Use a clear, easy-to-read typeface and reproduce it on a neutral
colored, top-quality resume paper. White is always acceptable.
13. Never use a font smaller than 10 point; no larger than 12 preferably in Times New
14. Do not add a photograph to your resume unless the positions for which you are
applying are dependent on particular physical appearances (modeling, etc.).
15. Describe your work experiences, including volunteer work, student activities, and
school project assignments, in terms that relate to your targeted career objective.
16. Do not include salary information!
17. Don't list references on your resume. You should prepare them and have them
typed on a separate sheet of paper ready to be submitted upon request.
18. Never send a resume without a cover letter. Never fax your resume without a fax
19. No Excuses---Don't include the reasons you are no longer working at each job listed on your
20. Target Your Audience.
21. No Extra Papers, Please---When you send out your resume, don't include copies of
transcripts, letters of recommendation or awards, unless you are specifically asked to do so.
If called in for an interview, you may bring these extra materials along in your briefcase for
22. Do NOT lie on your resume.
23. EDIT! EDIT! EDIT!